Wednesday, November 2, 2011

This Book Will Make Your Family Feel Normal

I've had a chance to do a bit of reading over the past few weeks; managing to finish something like 4 or 5 books which is a lot for me! I love reading but with little free time and a habit of reading only a few pages before I go to bed means that books get read very sloooooowly.

I recently finished this book called The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. Oh. My. Word. What a fantastic and yet crazy book. And to top this, the book isn't fiction- it's the memoirs of the author's childhood.



The book recalls moments and memories from Jeanette Walls' youth and tells them with the innocent approach to life that only a child can have. The events are recounted just as the author remembers them and are unspoiled by adult reasoning or any bitterness towards the past. You feel like you are a child alongside her experiencing all the craziness and taking life in stride. Her family was completely dysfunctional and they lived in absolute poverty but I couldn't help but laugh alongside the author as she told stories of dramatic hospital escapes and cardboard bunk beds. It will make you feel blessed by your own "normal" life. I seriously couldn't put this book down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List