Friday, August 20, 2010

St Fagan's National History Museum

This afternoon, I went with a friend to the National Welsh History Museum in St Fagan's. Despite having lived in Wales for 4 years, I had never gone to the museum and I'd have to say it was worth the trip! It was free to view the grounds and a lovely way to spend the afternoon. 

We started off looking at an old stone house with a thatched roof. The house had been painted red (supposedly to ward off evil spirits), but the barn, which was attached to the house, remained white. I was surprised at how large the rooms were in the house. There was a staircase as well and large rooms upstairs. It was also surprisingly dark inside- the furnishings were dark and the walls had not been painted white. It must have been quite a "rich" house in its time though.


There was also a Celtic area to wander around in. There were replica round houses here; one of them had a fire going inside and you could see how smoky they were to live in. It's crazy to think that people once lived in houses like these with their thatched (and spidery!) roofs and smoke-filled insides. I imagine that they didn't spend as much time inside as we do now.

We eventually ended up in a village-type area where we perused the goods in the general store; I bought a jar of lemon curd (YUM!) and then we snacked on scones. There was also a cute little post office in this area. How typical, with it's little red phone box. I thought it was a cute little building.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List